Developers guide to being awesome
I am awesome!
why am i awesome?
i am a developer!
- I create great stuff out of nothing
- I bring order to chaos (sometimes also the other way around)
- I tell the machines what they must do
i like developing
- its not a 9to5 job for me
- its more like getting paid for my hobby :D
- i want to be better.
- i read
- i go to user groups
- i go to conferences
- i watch conference streams/videos
- i want that my colleges/programmer friends also get better
- when i get new information or find a new cool project
- i try to get my programmer friend or colleges to also read/watch over it - because they have maybe another point of view to new ideas/project and talk with them helps me to be even more awesome and as side-effect there awesomelevel also grows ;)
Thats why i am really awesome.
- are you also awesome?
- do you wane be awesome?
What do you need to become as awesome as i am?
at first grow your self a beard - but i think this is some sort of optional.
- if you dont do this already, read, read alot.
- read on a daily base and try to find new information.
- read blogs
- read books - clean code is an awsome book
- read sourcecode - getting his head around other projects is really cool
- write code
- write good code
- write bad code
- just write code and think about it
- refactor it, delete it, start over
- also some cool stuff are code katas, small lessons that can be mostly done in 15-50, minutes to just trani your brain for all the standard problems
- go to usergroups
- its not just because of the talks
- its also because of the pauses, the talks between people
- try to get your coworkers to also go to user groups, its more fun for you and maybe they also learn new stuff
- go to conferences
- ok there are not really cheap, but look out for unconferences like the php unconference in hamburg or the cheap ones like the froscon
- on conferences its also a lot about socailising and talking to other developers, but this is also a very good point of learnign and getting/sharing information
- When you find great information share it with your collegs/code friends
- When you wrote some awesome pice of code put it, when possible, as open Source and let everyone use it
- When you have great ideas share them in a talk in a usergroup or on a conference.